[Fwd: Re: Return values - Just For Show?]

From: William Lachance (william.lachance@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 20:40:10 EST

    Meant to send this to the list, only sent it to Plam..

    --
    William Lachance <william.lachance@sympatico.ca>

    attached mail follows:

    On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 18:58, Patrick Lam wrote:
    > On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 02:57:08PM +0100, Mike Nordell wrote:
    > > Return values of type bool is not just for display, they are to be used. So
    > > what am I talking about? Well, what about SEGV?
    >
    > Perhaps exceptions would be better in this case?
    >
    > pat

    This would violate the Mozilla C++ portability guidelines, which we're
    supposed to be following. See:

    http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html#dont_use_exceptions

    Maybe it's time to rethink this policy? Compiler technology has
    progressed in the last few years. OpenOffice uses exceptions, and they
    seem to be doing fine as an XP application (although they do require
    gcc-3.0 to compile on Unix, maybe we'd have to do something similar).

    --
    William Lachance <william.lachance@sympatico.ca>