Re: commit - Move Toolbar Strings into .string files

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 16:45:21 EDT

    for OR read AND

    i will still be using the .strings files directly :P
    if i can force myself to work on the Irish localisation again.

    As i am not already familiar with gettext i dont see much benifit in
    using it. Until you start mentioning tools like POEdit, i dont see any
    particular benefits of using gettext (if you are not already familiar
    with it). Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

    Later
    Alan

    On 10 Sep 2002, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

    > Date: 10 Sep 2002 22:37:15 +0200
    > From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr>
    > To: Karl Ove Hufthammer <lister@huftis.org>
    > Cc: abiword-dev <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
    > Subject: Re: commit - Move Toolbar Strings into .string files
    >
    > On mar, 2002-09-10 at 22:32, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
    > > Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere@teaser.fr> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Or a move to MacOS X friendly localization (similar to gettext).
    > >
    > > Similar? Without proper gettext, localisers can't use the many
    > > very useful gettext/localisation programs available (e.g. KBabel
    > > and poEdit), which supports advanced features such as translation
    > > memory (for consistency across applications and ease of
    > > translation).

    I wonder why open source cannot include a whole bunch of pretranslated
    strings as part of the very toolkit, or at least as part of Glade
    (maybe efforts are already underway).