Re: commit - Move Toolbar Strings into .string files

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 17:30:02 EDT

    > 1) Have translators use tools that they like and are familiar with,
    > including all of their benefits

    yeah, maybe

    > 2) Drop our .po files inside of GNOME's CVS repository a few days
    > before a release. Because of #1, translators will just translate all of

    maybe i am wrong but i would imagine there is not much of a crossover (at
    least at the moment) between the people who translate for Gnome and the
    people who translate Abiword.

    Of course it would be good to get some help from the Gnome translator too
    of course.

    > our strings for us, and then we re-merge them. Completely effortless on
    > our part. Relatively easier on our translators' parts.

    hmm, i thought there were quirks in the strings -> po -> strings
    but maybe they have been ironed out ...

    there is also something at the back of my mind i remeber mentioning to dom
    about locales should include information about the next best fallback for
    missing strings and if i remember correctly dom told me to file an
    enhancement request against gettext but i got distracted.

    So does gettext handle dialects well? it might well be won over if there
    is a much easier way to make the same change to en-IE, en-AU, en-GB, en-NZ
    all in one fell swoop.

    > Still don't see any benefit? I see 2 *HUGE* benefits.

    Okay so the add on tools that work with gettext are the whole point, not
    so much gettext itself.

    Just to point out that winamp3 uses a system almost identical to the
    strings files abiword uses

    Later
    Alan