Re: Version 1.0.3 of AbiWord

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 22:05:15 EDT

     --- Omer Zak <omerz@actcom.co.il> wrote:
    > Hello Andrew,

    Shalom Omer.

    > I have at last built a "modern" Linux installation
    > (in another hard disk), using RedHat 7.2 (the most
    > recent is 7.3, but I don't have yet CD-ROMs for it).
    > I then downloaded the AbiWord 1.0.3 tarball from
    > Sept. 11, and compiled it. It works. But I haven't
    > been successful in getting to see the "Right-to-left
    > dominant" checkbox control in the
    > Format/Paragraph/alignment&spacing dialog.
    > Is this something which is temporarily broken in
    > 1.0.3?
    > So I don't know which is broken - the 1.0.3 tarball,
    > or my way of building AbiWord from it.

    I'm CCing the developer list. Somebody there should
    know.

    > Another thing, which I noticed, is that even though
    > debug messages get printed i.e. I succeeded in
    > activating the DEBUG option when making AbiWord,
    > the -dumpstrings option does not do anything. But
    > the dumpstrings.pl (a separate script) did work and
    > dumped strings for me.

    Hmm I think depending on the version and whether it's
    a GTK or Gnome build that it might be --dumpstrings.
    The commandline code has been tweaked several times.

    > Please let me know if those anomalies are due to my
    > way of making AbiWord, or are they features of 1.0.3
    > under Linux?
    >
    > As soon as I get to have a working AbiWord BiDi
    > under Linux, I plan to release he-IL.strings for
    > this version (and I'll also try to encode it in
    > UTF-8 and be done with all the silly encoding
    > business).

    Yes Visual encodings might have some use in web pages,
    but not in many other areas where it just becomes an
    argument passed on to iconv. Make sure everything in
    the strings file is in logical order always. Then if
    the renderer does something wrong we can try to fix
    or work around the renderer's problems.

    > I also didn't succeed in getting Hebrew fonts to
    > work in my Linux installation (the same problem like
    > you), but I found that the AbiWord help has
    > instructions about such things (need to create a
    > subdirectory to the share/AbiSuite/fonts directory,
    > not clear if the subdirectory has to
    > be named he-IL.ISO-8859-8, or just ISO-8859-8).

    This will be fixed the right way when the new version
    with Xft and fontconfig support is released.
    Since I can't run Linux versions here, somebody else
    on the list will have to help you. Getting
    non-English
    fonts working on X Windows is known to be a nightmare.

    > Thanks,

    You're welcome.
    Andrew.

    =====