Re: internationalization: I can't get it to work

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 23:16:30 EDT

     --- F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Andrew Dunbar wrote:
    > > The first problem I see is "yi-YI". The letters
    >
    > I thought we'd settled on yi-IL for Yiddish?
    >
    > ??, Frank

    Please only use "yi-IL" if this really is "Israeli
    Yiddish". I know not of such things. Please don't
    add a region code just because most of the other
    languages have them if it is not the right thing in
    this case. I don't know much about Yiddish dialects
    or standards.

    Locales are still a bit of a mess really.
    As a system locale for a Yiddish speaker in Israel
    yi-IL might mean you get Yiddish strings and Israeli
    measurements and time standards which might be what
    you want.

    As a language tag, the region part is useful for
    things such as spell checking. In this case something
    like yi-YIVO would make more sense but that's not a
    standard tag either.

    If there is a Unix distro which supports Yiddish we
    should probably do what they do.

    If yi-IL is the right answer then do please use it and
    tell us (:

    Andrew.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com