Re: Barbarism implementation proposal

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 01:10:40 EDT

     --- Dom Lachowicz <doml@appligent.com> wrote: > On
    Wed, 2002-09-25 at 00:33, Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > > This is a bad idea. Only ispell dictionaries have
    > > these names and I for one hate the ispell naming
    > > system. Aspell probably uses different names and
    > > lives in different dictionaries. Note that many
    > > distros have ispell hashes in places other than
    > > where AbiWord probably prefers them. I'm doing
    > > some work now to make AbiWord use any ispell hash
    > > files it can find. Hopefully I can even make it
    > > use a mix of ispell and aspell (and maybe even
    > > myspell) dictionaries.
    >
    > FYI, most distros patch AbiWord to use their own
    > hash files, or configure --with-pspell. Since ispell
    > doesn't have any real standard prefix and no good
    > way to determine that prefix at runtime or compile
    > time, we might be facing some limitations here.

    I've got some ideas. I've got it building a list of
    potential names, starting with the "legacy" name for
    known existing hashes. Next time somebody wants to
    add
    a Yiddish hash, they'll be able to call it "yi.hash"
    and it will just work without having to ask the dev
    guys to add it to the source.

    I'm also thinking of externalizing the legacy names
    into an XML file or something for similar reasons.

    I know the distros already patch but this should make
    it nicer - plus it's fun (:

    I've had some off-list discussion with a few guys
    about
    the potential for "drop-in language support" where a
    module can be made with all the features for a new
    language can be created, distributed, and installed
    as a single package without needing to modify or
    recompile AbiWord.

    Andrew.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com