Re: win32 issues

From: Kenneth J. Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 17:09:15 EDT

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:52:25 +0600 Sinitsyn Valentine <Valentine.Sinitsyn@usu.ru> wrote:

    SV> Hi,
    SV>
    SV> it seems that most significant problems of building AbiWord@MinGW
    SV> are now solved. At least I'm able to create a working (but actually
    SV> not very stable) 'AbiWord.exe' and even 'setup_abiword.exe' on my
    SV> Windows 98 & 2000 systems. :-)
    SV>
    SV> But I still have 3 little questions:
    SV>
    SV> 1. MinGW port produces two binaries: AbiWord.exe and libAbiWord.dll.
    SV> It is different from MSVC port which produces AbiWord.exe only. This
    SV> causes some difficulties, eg. we need have different nsis scripts for
    SV> these port (or employ some other tricks). May be it is better to link
    SV> AbiWord@MinGW statically?

    Statically would probably be nicer for simplicity, but not really
    necessary. The nsis issue can be fixed by adding /nonfatal
    e.g. File libAbiWord.dll /nonfatal, though this adds a warning for MSVC,
    so a better fix, assuming the MingW defines something, may be
    !ifdef SOMEMINGWDEFINE
    File libAbiWord.dll
    !endif

    SV> 2. ru-RU.hash from www.abisource.com doesn't work properly with
    SV>
    SV> 3. By default, AbiWord starts in 'Normal window'. I prefer to see
    SV> maximized window of the editor. Maybe it is worth to be implemented as
    SV> default (as it was in AbiWord 1.0.4 for Windows)?

    I think 1.0.2 was the last to do this (1.0.3 & 1.0.4 were random
    placement and window state {normal/maximized}), but I've been meaning to
    add back where it saves the Window state on exit and restores on startup.
    The Windows code is trivial. All that needs is to add something, probably
    to xp that extends the Geometry section of the profile, with an OS flags or
    window state value. Its just not high on my priorities since Abi should
    at least be properly saving/restoring the window size & position [still
    need to look into the report of that not working for one person...].

    SV> I was in doubt whether I should post items 2,3 to Bugzilla or here so
    SV> sorry if I've made a wrong decision.

    You should probably add 2 to bugzilla so its not overlooked, if its not
    already there. 3 may be there, or was there, either way it will be fixed
    [maximize/normal state saved/restored] when I get back to working on
    AbiWord, or someone else adds the few lines it needs.

    SV> Regards,
    SV> Valentine

    Jeremy