Re[2]: win32 issues

From: Sinitsyn Valentine (Valentine.Sinitsyn@usu.ru)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 02:38:22 EDT

    >> 1. MinGW port produces two binaries: AbiWord.exe and libAbiWord.dll.
    >> It is different from MSVC port which produces AbiWord.exe only. This
    >> causes some difficulties, eg. we need have different nsis scripts for
    >> these port (or employ some other tricks). May be it is better to link
    >> AbiWord@MinGW statically?

    MDP> This was an orignal attempt to get plugins to work with the mingw. The
    MDP> plugins would link agaist the libAbiWord.dll as would the AbiWord.exe.
    MDP> MSVC allows us to link plugin dlls against the .exe exported functions.
    MDP> If mingw build can be made to do this, then the need for a libAbiWord.dll
    MDP> goes away (I almost had this done at one time).
    Ok, then I'll first try to link plugins against AbiWord.exe. If I'll
    succeed in it, I'll try remove libAbiWord.dll from distribution. If
    not, I'll fix AbiWord.nsi.

    >> 3. By default, AbiWord starts in 'Normal window'. I prefer to see
    >> maximized window of the editor. Maybe it is worth to be implemented as
    >> default (as it was in AbiWord 1.0.4 for Windows)?

    MDP> Normal window is default behavior for Win apps.
    Yes, surely, but most word processing applications (like MS Word,
    OpenOffice.org) start in maximized mode. I vote for Kenneth J. Davis
    idea of saving window state on exit and restore it on startup.

    MDP> Thanks for all the help. It is very much appreciated.
    The pleasure was all mine.

    Regards,
    Valentine