Re: cocoa version

From: Seth Delackner (seth@jtan.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 16:35:39 EDT

    On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:14:32PM -0700, Robert G. Werner wrote:
    > Everyone starts out as a beginer once. It sounds like you have the
    > drive to get involved. Good.
    >
    > For C++, I liked:
    > 'Thinking in C++' by Bruce Eckel
    >
    > I'm not up on Objective C but Apple has some great examples. There is

    Forgive the intrusion here, but I would really recommend he just go straight to
    Objective-C. Skip the C++ for now, even though Abiword is written in it. That
    may sound crazy, but Objective-C is what the OS X port will be mostly written
    in, and Objective-C is conceptually very simple. If you hit a part of the
    AbiWord code that doesn't make sense, then read just the part of C++ manuals
    that helps get past it.

    I highly recommend "Learning Objective-C" (the O'Reilly book). It is a little
    short on the theory, but it hand walks you through writing some simple
    applications that get you prepped to do just about anything with Cocoa.