Re: State of Bidi Addendum (tables and footnotes)

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 04:24:15 EDT

    On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 15:45, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
    > I completely forgot, bidi processing needs to be added to the table
    > and footnote/endnote code, both of which is needs to be done before
    > 2.0.
    >
    > A. Tables
    > RTL tables need to lay columns from right to left. The layout order
    > of the columns should be determined as follows:
    >
    > (1) the table checks its 'dom-dir' property ("rtl" or "ltr"); if
    > set, the layout is done on its basis, if not,
    >
    > (2) check the 'dom-dir' property of the document section containing
    > the table; if set, the layout is done on its basis. The
    > PP_lookupProperty() function should be used for this, since it
    > handles document-level inheritance.

    This is tricky. We will have to examine the code in fp_TableContainer
    and
    see if we can simply layout columns from highest to lowest based on the
    dominant direction. Maybe we can use a mapping function in one or two
    spots which does this.

    I think if we get the code in fp_TableContainer right, we won't have to
    change too much other code elsewhere.

    > We will need a GUI to allow the user to set the 'dom-dir' of a table;
    > this will require a check-box in the Insert Table dialogue, which
    > should be initialized by the value of the 'dom-dir' property of the
    > parent document section (or in case of nested tables the parent
    > table).

    We should also allow the user to change the line thickness of the table
    lines.

    > B. Footnotes/Endnotes
    > The code that inserts a note needs to examine the value of the 'dom-
    > dir' property of the document section containing the footnote
    > reference, and set the 'dom-dir' of the block containing the footnote
    > initially to the same value.
    >
    > The code that lays out the note should examine the value of the 'dom-
    > dir' property of the document section containing the footnote
    > reference. If the value is 'rtl' then the footnote number needs to be
    > placed to the right of the footnote text.

    This is straight forward.

    BTW Tomas I forwarded your email about the bidi aspects of AbiWord to
    the abiword-user list to try to recruit more testers for you.

    --
    Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    University of Melbourne