fonts on Unix: where are they?

From: Raphael Finkel (raphael@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 16:30:10 EDT

    I cannot figure out why AbiWord shows me the Arial and Lucida Sans
    Unicode fonts when I run it on machine A but not machine B.

    A and B are identical in every respect I have looked at:

            ldconfig -p shows the same output.
            /usr/X11/lib/fonts/ have identical content.
            printenv shows the same content (except for host name and ssh session
                    identifier).
            ldd `which abiword` shows identical output.

    Many files are actually shared by A and B, mounting from a common
    server:

            All of the AbiWord executables and libraries.
            libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
            libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
            libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
            libenchant.so.0
            libfribidi.so.0

    I run AbiWord on both A and B from an X session on machine D, so they
    see identical X configuration, I should think.

    I cannot figure out where AbiWord is finding Lucida Sans Unicode on
    machine A!

    Raphael