OTS dialog [was Re: AbiWord Weekly News #157 (2003, week 33) released]

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 13:35:29 EDT

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, ericzen wrote:

    > Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 04:00:41 -0500
    > From: ericzen <ericzen@ez-net.com>
    > To: stro@gnomedesktop.org, abiword-dev@abisource.com,
    > abiword-user@abisource.com, lwn@lwn.net, niscenus@roogroup.com
    > Subject: AbiWord Weekly News #157 (2003, week 33) released
    >
    > Issue #157 has been released
    >
    > Layfolk here: http://www.abisource.com/news
    > Community reporters here: http://www.abisource.com/information/news/2003/awn157.phtml
    >

    > This week in development

    I notice the screenshot of the OTS dialog in this weeks news.
    http://libots.sourceforge.net/abiword-ots.png

    Generally it helps to size things consitantly to roughly a 3:4 ratio
    which is proportianl to the display size and as a result slightly more
    aesthetically pleasing.

    Really small dialogs like the one shown look quite inconsistant.

    Summarizing by percent is not very informative or user friendly. It might
    be better to show the number of pages and words in the document and give a
    rough estimate of how long the summary will be in words or pages. My
    guess is most users want a one page summary.

    Here is a copy of the Auto Summarizer dialog from Microsoft Word 97,
    perhaps it will give you some ideas.
    http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dev/abi/ui/msword97-tools_autosummarize001.png

    Hope that this information will be of use, I will file bug reports by
    request.

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/