I'd be happy help.

From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Mon Aug 25 2003 - 09:49:15 EDT

    Hi Sebastian,
                 I'd be happy to help. This sort of thing interests me a lot.

    If you can clearly define what your letter of refernce is meant to look
    like it will be straight forward to use AbiWord-2.0 to generate it.

    Since you want a cross-platform application it may be easiest to generate
    an abiword format XML file from your data then just spawn abiword with the
    text as input ready for a final typing by the doctor. If you were running
    a pure linux app we could otherwise use the AbiWord bonobo component to
    embed it in your main app window.

    The AbiWord XML file format is quite straight forward and generating it
    would be not much different from the direct manipulations you'd need to
    make if you were to directly insert it into AbiWord.

    I suggest the way to procede is to simply use AbiWord to type up how you
    want your referal to look (marking the places where you want to place
    data) then send it to us. We may even be able to use our mail-merge
    feature to make the job even easier on us.

    In any case it should be much less than a weeks work on our side to give
    you what you want.