Re: commit: Document server code for AbiCommand.

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 10:26:30 EST

    > Oh cool! I didn't know about that. It will certainly
    > get dobey off my back.
    > This is just what he wanted.

    Glad to be of help.

    I do, however, question the rationale for thumbnailing
    AbiWord documents. I don't think that a thumbnail
    could possibly give sufficient context for
    disambiguation between word processor documents, thus
    making the thumbnails worthless (or worse, prohibitive
    since they could cause confusion or reduce user
    reaction times). It could also be quite a lengthy
    process - documents like the RTFSpec take on the order
    of 30 seconds to load and view. That's an unacceptable
    time to generate a thumbnail. And since this is
    probably being done in a Glib idle loop, we'll get the
    document inside of a CPU idle period (a good thing)
    and then hog the CPU until the conversion is done -
    thus appearing to freeze Nautilus (a bad thing).

    This sounds like a genuinely bad idea (tm). It's
    probably not yours, but I still feel that this has to
    be said.