Re: Commit: string classes rearranged

From: William Lachance (william.lachance@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Jan 03 2003 - 15:22:37 EST

    On Fri, 2002-12-27 at 00:12, Andrew Dunbar wrote:

    > Disabled UCS-2 string class since they've been
    > superceded by UCS-4.
    > The only place they were used was in the Barbarisms
    > code and there it was being used in a very strange
    > way.
    > I couldn't test my change as I couldn't find the XML
    > file needed.
    > To re-enable UCS-2 support, define
    > ENABLE_UCS2_STRINGS.

    Just to followup on Marc's mail:

    libwpd2 (the library for reading/writing WordPerfect documents) uses
    UCS2 internally. I made this choice because:

    1. OO.o and (AFAIK) KWord use UCS2 internally. There isn't AFAIK an easy
    way of converting from UCS4->UCS2 in OO.o.
    2. AbiWord provides a robust way of doing the conversion from UCS2->UCS4
    (or at least it used to).
    3. WordPerfect's extended character set is a subset of UCS2.

    --
    William Lachance <william.lachance@sympatico.ca>