RE : RE : Piece Table with O(log(n)) operations

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@free.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 15:32:35 EST

    It was too slow to measure it, so I measured a little piece table, and
    then extrapolated the line (it was quite a perfect line).

    It's ~0.6 seconds for the insertion (that's 60,000 times slower). As I
    put in the web page, my double linked list implementation is a simpler
    one than the AbiWord implementation... but for *this* test, my
    implementation is faster than the real abiword implementation (because I
    don't create a big vector by insertion).

    I didn't measured the delete times so exactly as the insert operation,
    but my little test extrapolates to ~0.5 seconds
    (for a delete on a piece table with 250,000 pieces). So it's also
    60,000 times slower.

    As I said, I *don't* consider the piece table as our current bottleneck,
    and the numbers prove my intuition to be right (remember that the test
    if for a insanely huge piece table).

    Cheers,