Re: Announce: 2.0 release plan

From: William Lachance (william.lachance@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 16:37:43 EST

    Hi Dom, everyone.

    On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 12:08, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > AbiWord development has been progressing at a
    > marvelous clip and it's getting to the point where we
    > should put another big, fancy DOT-OH release out
    > there.

    > Expected polish/bugfix/improved 2.0 features:
    > * Tables (UI, interaction, imp/exp)

    Specifically, I would like to see better handling of table selections in
    2.0 (I think there's a bugzilla entry for this). Not my area of
    expertise.

    > * Footnotes (needs imp/exp to RTF, DOC)
    > * Endnotes (make work again, imp/exp)

    I think I (or Marc) can make the the WordPerfect importer handle these.
    We've been making great progress on libwpd2 over the last little while
    (we can handle proper tables now!). Expect a new AbiWord plugin within a
    month or two (Marc is the main person working on this; I'm mostly
    working on OO.org and libwpd2 proper) -- we just have to fix a few
    regressions (lists, font size change, ..).

    > Expected polish/bugfix/improvements over 1.0 features:
    > * HTML import/export
    > * GTK2 UI (ideally remove any deprecated
    > widgets/functions, make work on both GTK 2.0 and 2.2)
    > * XSL-FO import/export
    > * Spelling problems
    > * Help problems
    > * Crash problems

    I want to do some more work on the frame code before 2.0 hits. I'm not
    completely satisfied with the new interface I created with the frame
    refactoring and there are still lingering focus/keyboard issues and I'd
    like to make the frame building stuff (i.e.: menus, toolbars, view,
    statusbar) not-hardcoded (to make the bonobo integration cleaner, and to
    pave the way for stuff like a grammar checker interface and a
    reveal-codes view). I won't be able to work on this before Jan. 22nd
    though, so with everybody's permission, I'd like to add this to the list
    of "proposed polish".

    Regards,

    --
    William Lachance <william.lachance@sympatico.ca>