Re: Announce: 2.0 release plan

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 20:39:51 EST

     --- Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>
    wrote: > On 18 Jan 2003, William Lachance wrote:

    > > Hi Dom, everyone.
    > >
    > > On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 12:08, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > > > AbiWord development has been progressing at a
    > > > marvelous clip and it's getting to the point
    > > > where we should put another big, fancy DOT-OH
    > > > release out there.
    > >
    > > > Expected polish/bugfix/improved 2.0 features:
    > > > * Tables (UI, interaction, imp/exp)
    > >
    > > Specifically, I would like to see better handling
    > > of table selections in 2.0 (I think there's a
    > > bugzilla entry for this). Not my area of
    > > expertise.
    >
    > I've thought quite a bit about this and to implement
    > say selecting/copying/cutting/pasting ranges of
    > cells we have to significantly extend our selection
    > mechanism.
    >
    > Currently we have just two points for selections. An
    > anchor and the current point.
    >
    > However to select a column of cells in a table
    > requires selecting each seperate cell in the
    > piecetable. Since cell are contiguous in rows (not
    > columns) in the piecetable, this means we need a
    > vector of ranges to remember the column selection.
    > One range for each cell.

    If I am right, couldn't we use this same mechanism to
    add support for cut/copy/paste of rectangular
    selections? Most plain text editors and MS Word
    support this and I miss it fairly often.

    It's definitely worth keeping in mind if we're
    redesigning part of the import/export model anyway.

    I'll file an RFE...

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com