Re: commit: Layout horizontally with screen units.

From: Patrick Lam (plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 14:50:32 EST

    On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 06:42:51AM +1100, Martin Sevior wrote:
    > We're up against accmulated rounding errors in
    >
    > 1. Choosing fonts sizes at low resolution.
    > 2. Actual font widths on screen can be as small as 4 pixels wide when the
    > properlay scaled (from a high resolution device) would be say, 4.3 pixels
    > 3. Low resolution hinting which shifts scaled fonts in a undefined manner.

    Yes, that would cause a problem. Basically we shouldn't trust anything
    we get in screen units with respect to width; the calculation should be
    proceeding internally in layout units and that should tell Abi where to
    draw the letters, after conversion to screen units.

    I still have a sneaking suspicion that in some #ifdefs, we have separate
    layout and screen fonts; this doesn't seem to be the case in xft.

    When we do have the same font for screen and layout, we have to make sure
    that we get the correct measurements everywhere. Type systems with dimensions
    are useful sometimes...

    pat