Re: Newby: getting started on Win32 compilation

From: John Coonrod (jc@thp.org)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 18:14:24 EST

    Dom:

    Thanks - I actually am interesting in writing code - I'm an old time
    assembly-code type, but c is no particular problem. Although being able
    to compile a copy of abiword that works seems to be a good place to
    start, and I had hoped the 1.1.3 release tarball would compile.

    Getting abiword to 2 will be quite a triumph for the free software
    world, and perhaps I could contribute.

    I'm using msys and mingw now, and it ran astonishing far this time
    before crashing:

    make[4]: Entering directory `/c/abiword-1.1.3/abi/src/wp/main/win'
    Building on [MINGW32] with [LicensedTrademarks:Off Debug:Off BiDi:LTR
    Pango:Off XML:expat Pspell:Off Scripting:Off].
    stdout: No error
    Using `c:\MinGW\bin\gcc -E -xc -DRC_INVOKED
    -Ic:/abiword-1.1.3/abi/src/wp/ap/win
    -Ic:/abiword-1.1.3/abi/src/af/xap/win Win32Main.rc'
    Using popen to read preprocessor output
    c:\MinGW\bin\windres.exe:
    c:/abiword-1.1.3/abi/src/af/xap/win/xap_Win32Res_DlgLanguage.rc2:49:
    parse error
    make[4]: ***
    [/c/abiword-1.1.3/abi/src/MINGW32_1.0.8_i386_EXP_OBJ/obj/Win32Mainrc.o]
    Error 1

    The rc2 has been around since 10/19/02 and line 49 looks immently
    parseable, the Win32Main.rc file look unsurprising, so I'm a bit baffled
    - but I would expect these are pretty typical problems in this kind of
    project that I should learn how to sort out. Any suggestion where to look?

    - John