Re: AbiWord's printing architecture

From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 15:32:26 EST

    At 12:36 AM +0100 1/25/03, Robert Roebling wrote:
    >Well, we do :-) I just tell the FreeType backend
    >of Pango to produce outlines of the rendered
    >text and write these to the PS file.

            ARGH!!!

            There are two major problems with this approach.

    1) The "printer" is no longer able to using the hinting data in the
    font to do better quality output on raster devices and/or lower
    resolution PS printers.

    2) If the user chooses to take the output PS file and convert it to
    PDF, then output document will be larger AND will no longer be
    searchable :(.

            As Dom noted, the correct thing to do is support font
    embedding with subsetting.

    Leonard

    Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:leonardr@lazerware.com>
                          			     <http://www.lazerware.com>