Re: How to do translations

From: Raphael Finkel (raphael@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 09:35:22 EST

    In my personal "howto do translations" file, I have added the following
    paragraphs:

    There are several alternative techniques for building Zemblan string files,
    although I don't recommend them.

    1. Look in http://www.abisource.com/dev/strings/strings.html (quite long; all
    you need is the beginning) to find a fairly complete translation that you can
    work from, perhaps because it is related to Zemblan. Say you choose
    no-NO. Copy user/wp/strings/no-NO.strings to user/wp/strings/zz-ZZ.strings
    and modify the translations. Disadvantages: (a) You can't easily keep up with
    new strings added to AbiWord over time, (b) You can't easily find which Zemblan
    strings you haven't done yet, (c) In the cases where the same English string
    occurs in multiple instances, you need to introduce your Zemblan translation
    for each instance.

    2. Run AbiWord --dumpstrings; you will find a fresh file in the current
    directory called en-US.strings. Copy this file to
    user/wp/strings/zz-ZZ.strings and edit it. Disadvantages: (a-c) above.

    Raphael