Re: Abiword 2.0 win32 release

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 18:50:02 EDT

    Sorry for my previous missatge. My English quite broken!! I should not write
    e-mails after so much time styding!!

    > Having AbiWord 2.0 run on Win32 is a *high* priority.
    > I can't stress this enough. Unfortunately, we don't
    > have a whole lot of people focussing on Win32
    > bugs/details/polish.

    Well, I think that at some stage we should stop the developement of new
    features and concentrate on bug fixing. It's very difficult to get a stable
    version if new features are constantly added, that is good BTW.

    > We're not planning to release 2.0 quite yet. It will
    > be soon - probably in another month or so. This should
    > give you some time to straighten up things. Fix it up
    > as best as you can. Fix all of the small, annoying
    > bugs you can. Try to kill the larger ones as well.

    As you have seen, I mainly have been killing bugs lately. Some major, some
    minor, but necessary fixes.

    > I don't expect 2.0 to be perfect by any stretch of the
    > imagination. All of our platforms have bugs. This
    > should be well-known and even embraced. The goal for
    > 2.0 isn't perfection. It just has to be more
    > featureful and at least as stable as 1.0.6.
    > For example, the Win32 keyboard has issues with
    > inputting Unicode. The UI has issues displaying
    > Unicode. This is known. 1.0 had the same limitations.
    > At least we haven't regressed.
    >
    > I don't expect perfection. I do expect progress. If
    > there are any major win32 issues that you think should
    > block the release, please file them in bugzilla and
    > mark them as blocking the 2.0 bug.

    We agree. I also expect something that can be used by end-users, even if is
    not perfect.

    I will do this. I already marked some blockers under the Front End - Windows
    Component time ago.

    Jordi,

    --

    Jordi Mas i Hernāndez - Abiword developer - http://www.abisource.com jmas@softcatala.org - Softcatalā member - http://www.softcatala.org - Personal Homepage http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas