Re: commit (HEAD): toward AW native clipboard

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 03:02:39 EDT

     --- tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk wrote: >
    > Hi guys,

    Hi Tomas.

    > first of all to respond to Alan: I am not suggesting
    > 'demoting' the rtf format, and I do understand why
    > it was chosen for the clipboard. The problem is with
    > the way MS handles bidi-rectional text, and how it
    > is stored in the RTF format. In order to be able to
    > reproduce the same layout of text in an RTF document
    > as the user gets in Word, we have to insert explicit
    > direction overrides over certain characters

    I still don't understand why we "have to insert
    explicit characters". I understand that Word does
    things differently and that we *have to* work with it.
    But I don't understand why inserting these characters
    "has to" be the solution. It seems to have a larger
    and larger flow-on effect for us yet for MS Word it
    can save and load RTF files just fine without the use
    of these characters. Why can't we solve the problem
    more in the way that MS does?

    Or are you saying that MS Word RTF files are special
    in this regard or that MS Word .doc files work fine
    but their RTF doesn't even work for themselves?

    I'd really appreciate a technical explanation on why
    ours is the only or the best solution and why we have
    to go to these lengths when it appears MS does not.

    Sorry if I sound naive but that's why I'd like to
    understand better.

    Andrew Dunbar.

    > (common stuff, like punctuation), and there is a
    > corresponding problem in the reversed direction. The
    > consequence is that if you create an AW bidi
    > document save it into RTF and reload it, you have a
    > slightly different document, with explicit direction
    > overrides at places, which you did not key in. These
    > can be a nuisance, but that is the price we pay for
    > getting Word rtf docs layout in an idenctical way as
    > in Word and it cannot be helped. Unfortunately, you
    > get the same problem doing copy/paste _within_ AW,
    > which is unacceptable. Now, if we had AW formatted
    > text on the clipboard alongside rtf, we would not
    > need to rely on the RTF for internal copy/paste.
    >
    > Martin wrote:
    > > I should have pointed this out earlier.
    > > You can extend RTF to make lossless cut and paste
    > > by making {\*\abikeyword ....} extensions.
    > I thought about this for a while, but then having AW
    > clipboard seemed as a much cleaner solution that
    > would resolve any similar issues in the future. But
    > I will have another look at this, as it would also
    > make it possible to avoid the same problem if
    someone

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com