Re: AP_Convert Bla -> Bla = why do anything?

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 14:17:35 EST

    --- Seth Delackner <seth@jtan.com> wrote:
    > Wouldn't it make sense to test if the requested
    > export type is the same as the
    > type of the existing file? If this is already done,
    > I am certainly not calling
    > the right code because AP_Convert::convertTo will
    > happily re-encode RTF -> RTF.

    I don't think that we should be doing checks for
    input-type == output type. I think that belongs in a
    higher-level place (if at all), such as the app that's
    calling 'AbiWord --to'. This is also compounded by the
    fact that you can use the --to to essentially copy a
    file:

    AbiWord --to=file2.rtf file1.rtf

    I'm going to say that what we have now is the intended
    and correct behavior and "makes sense", as far as
    AbiWord itself is concerned. The best solution would
    be to not call AP_Convert::convertTo if input_type ==
    output_type in your particular app.

    Any other dataloss or other problems caused by
    RTF->RTF encoding should be filed as bugs and fixed.
    IMO, this alone is the correct solution.

    Cheers,