Re: style/diction in Abiword

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 19:27:59 EST

    On 22 Mar 2003, Stephen Waters wrote:

    > Date: 22 Mar 2003 15:20:39 -0600
    > From: Stephen Waters <swaters@luy.info>
    > To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
    > Subject: style/diction in Abiword
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm considering looking into the style/diction plugin POW. However, I'm
    > a Perl hack and haven't done any C/C++ in years and years.

    I am probably not the best person to answer this but
    Go for it!

    No on else is working on the suggested style/diction plugins, so you can
    work at your own pace and as independantly as you would like.

    I am fairly sure Dom did some infrastucture work for a grammar checker and
    the developers will help you along with your questions where they can.

    If you want something else to start with I am sure we can think of
    something more to you liking. Perhaps you would like to put together some
    Perl scripts for Abiword? (in case you did not already know abiword
    can be built to support Perl scripting). If you see a feature request in
    Bugzilla that interests you then give it a try.
    http://bugzilla.abisource.com

    > Do you think this is too hard for a beginner?

    Probably not too hard, but then what do i know. The reason i suggested it
    as a POW was because it is fairly seperate and allows you to work at your
    own pace.

    > Do you have any advice?

    try your best,
    talk to the developers on IRC (although it is a little desolate at the
    weekends sometimes)
    irc.gnome.org #abiword

    > Is there an example of a related plugin?

    the aiksaurus (thesaurus) plugin, might be worth looking at, i dunno.

    Good luck, thanks for getting involved.

    Sincerley

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/