Re: commit: fix bug 4756 - number of columns in tables no longer insane.

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 15:14:17 EST

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Martin Sevior wrote:

    > Subject: Re: commit: fix bug 4756 - number of columns in tables no longer
    > insane.

    > > 64? If you are trying to match MSWord, I think it allows only up to 63.
    > >

    > He He :-) Gotta do one better than MSWord.
    >
    > When I tested this I set page type to landscape, size to A0. 64 columns is
    > actually reasonable on that grid.

    Presumably some laser printers do much larger paper sizes and print in
    landscape mode.
    As i already mentioned I suggested 64 columns out of one upmanship but if
    there is cause to allow more then by all means do so. How do we find out
    if allowing more columns would be a good idea?
    It makes more sense to me to limit it to 99 (ie only two digits worth of
    number) rather than 63 (or 64) but i expect in msword that is a throwback
    to some point where they stored the value in a data type that held 64
    values.

    I have taken a look at OpenOffice 1.0 and it seems not to put any limit on
    the number of columns with strange results (this picture has about >700
    columns)
    http://matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/~horkana/dev/abi/ui/openoffice1.0writer-crazytable-hundredsofcols.png
    you can see there are so many columns that it is solid black.

    I also tried inserting 99999 columns and it seems to have worked but the
    app is very unresponsive and about ready to keel over and die, but credit
    it to them that it does still barely work and i can successfully close
    rather than needing to force kill it.

    Anyone got wordperfect? Be nice to know what they do. I'll try and look
    at the trial version of Wordperfect 10 and get back to yo.

    Sincerely
    Alan H.