Re: dead-key problem

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 14:01:56 EST

    Hi Gatis,

    > I've just installed AW 1.1.4 (still best WYSIWYG
    > editor i know) on
    > RedHat8 (GNOME) and spent two evenings trying to
    > make the 'dead-keys'
    > work correctly (without much success). Looks like
    > the reason is some
    > encoding stuff as my .abw files headers starts with
    > <?xml version="1.0"
    > encoding="UTF-8"?> (encoding is 'default' according
    > to statusbar).

    The word 'default' in the statusbar refers to your
    keybindings. AbiWord supports 'default' MSWord-style
    keybindings, 'vi' style, and 'emacs' style. The
    encoding of your files (UTF8) has absolutely nothing
    to do with your ability (or in this case, inability)
    to type text.

    > Below is the snippet that i found in the danish
    > deadkey how-to ...

    AbiWord uses the GTK2 input-method specification to
    accept text, and I have personally seen it accept
    ISO-8859-1 text, Cyrillic text, CJK text, Arabic text,
    Hebrew text, and Yiddish text. If AbiWord isn't
    accepting your input, it's quite likely that the
    problem lies in GTK2, or in how GTK2 is talking to
    your X input method.

    You may wish to right-click in the document window, go
    to "Input Methods" and select "X Input Method" from
    the list. This *might* work for you.

    > (There is a way to 'hack' 1.0.X versions by changing
    > (re-making) abiword
    > default fonts with MS true type fonts - but seams
    > that it can not be
    > used with 1.1.X? as common gnome (X11) fonts are
    > used now ! Although i
    > doubt if the fonts are problem as driver (key-map
    > file actually) wich
    > uses much more simple logic (right-alt key (and is
    > moch more
    > inconvenient)) works ok)...or maybe there are source
    > files that can be
    > modified to set iso8859-13 as default?

    AbiWord 1.1.4 uses FontConfig for font discovery. If
    your fonts are in "standard" places that FontConfig
    knows about, we should be able to load and use them
    effortlessly.