The Wrath Of Dom

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 12:13:12 EDT

    Hi folks,

    Unfortunately, the tagline of the AbiWord 2.0 release
    "Wrath of Dom" might all too likely come true.

    I want to start by saying that I'm not angry at anyone
    or anything. I'm merely concerned about the current
    state of affairs, and wish to ackowledge that I am at
    also responsible for many of them. Please don't look
    at this from me now as hypocricy; rather, try to see
    it as hindsight and foresight.

    I don't wish to pick on any particular person or
    people. Do not take what follows as a personal attack
    on anyone or their work to date. Please use what
    follows as a motive to tie up these loose ends instead
    of getting angry. I don't want to scare off
    developers. I don't want to belittle people's efforts
    - they've been nothing short of outstanding. I realize
    that everyone is acting with nothing but the best of
    intentions in an effort to make AbiWord a better
    product. Please realize that I have my release-manager
    hat on right now, and that I want nothing but to make
    AbiWord a better product too.

    That said, the state of the tree lately is simply
    unacceptable for a close precursor to our 2.0 release.

    1) It is wrong to break the build in any non-trivial
    way (i.e. makefile typo, cast conflicts with someone's
    compiler that you couldn't test on, MSVC's broken
    variable scoping rule, etc...), even if it helps your
    own cause and refactors XP code. Let it be known that
    we should all make ourselves aware of those above
    classes of errors and make every effort to avoid them.
    Regarding any change that might be viewed as
    controversial, please send patches to the list. We
    will work on them collaboratively and commit ONLY when
    Unix, MacOS, Win32, and QNX are all finished.

    2) It is wrong to add a new dependancy to the mainline
    build of AbiWord before discussing it on-list. It is
    *unthinkable* that this happened so late in the
    development cycle. For example, I personally want us
    to use LibGSF in all of our import/export filters.
    There are about 5000 good reasons to do so. However,
    you will never see me make first mention of it on-list
    in a commit message. I don't care how hashed-out the
    discussion is on IRC. I don't care if you think I'm in
    favor of it. Some smart and exceptionally important
    people in this community don't hang out on IRC. Others
    aren't around when you are. Use IRC and bugzilla as a
    way to develop ideas, to get a feel for "how warm the
    waters are." Then bring it to the list.

    3) Many commits in the past months fall into the
    "half-assed" category. I don't think that even I am
    above this assessment, unfortunately, and I apologize
    by not best leading through example. This includes:

    3.a) Poorly coordinated XP features/changes, with said
    changes only being immediately beneficial to one
    platform. Again, this list of offenders includes
    myself with my recent mail merge work, and I
    apologize.

    Some things I'd like to see happen in order to remedy
    the current situation:

    1) Font mess gets cleaned up. I think that the damage
    has been already done here. We need to move our
    platform-specific code and adapt it to Hub's XP
    design, altering said XP design if/when needed.

    2) Win32 Keyboard mess gets cleaned up. The keyboard
    *finally* worked properly for me in my en_US locale on
    WinXP just a few weeks ago. If the new Unicows dll is
    to be kept, we must:

    a) Choose a way for it to be redistributed
    developer-wise, possibly including if/when/where it
    gets put in CVS
    b) Integrate it with our installers, including
    b.i) Ensure it doesn't get installed on NT based OSes
    or
    b.ii) Have a download page where our users can get it
    from, if it's decided that we don't want the installer
    to include it
    c) Update the build texts accordingly
    d) Document the cases in which it isn't working

    3) No more casting commits until after 2.0. We cannot
    afford build breakage, even if it's only on schurro's
    gcc .0001

    4) The Win32 color toolbar combo box needs to be
    redesigned or reverted to the old behavior. I'll file
    a bugzilla bug for it. Its behavior is
    counter-intuitive, and pretty much the exact opposite
    of MS Office's behavior. This will only serve to
    confuse our users, I'm afraid.

    5) The mail merge dialog needs to be implemented on
    the non-GTK+ platforms. I'm to blame for this, and I
    apologize for creating the extra work for you. The
    dialog is intentionally simple, and is hopefully easy
    to implement. Please contact me for any and all
    questions of comments regarding it.

    6) If possible (RFE, not a requirement), the GDA and
    OLE2 mail-merge plugins should coordinate efforts.
    Jordi and I should work together on the file format
    and automation process, in order that the Win32 folks
    can take advantage of the new mail merge capabilities
    of AbiWord.

    This is a subset of the issues that remain for 2.0.
    I'll start another thread with other things that I
    think need doing/fixing before 2.0 comes out.

    Again, I want to commend you all for your great work
    to date. I don't mean to scold you, and I blame myself
    more than I blame any other individual or group. I'd
    just like to see these issues get resolved, and
    quickly. I appreciate all of your hard work. We all
    mean the best.

    Thanks again,