Re: Patch: win32 text dragging

From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 00:29:16 EST

    >> Are you using OLE to enable cross-application
    >> dragging or
    >> does this only work for inside of Abi? If the
    >> latter, you may wish
    >> to consider the former so that folks can drag text
    >> FROM and TO Abi...
    >
    > That all happens at ANOTHER layer entirely. All this
    > patch does is generate a GR_Image from a given
    > rectangle on the screen.

    I've been thinking about how to do this in gnome. The abiword side is
    quite straight forward and the gtk+ dnd api is also straight forward and
    we use it already to drag and drop toolbar icons. The receiving end of the
    drop outside abiword is a bit of a problem since there is no well define
    protocol for receiving text from drag and drop events. It would be nice to
    able to drop text right on the user desktop, but to do that wed have to
    get Nautilus to drop the right thing. I guess we need to start discussions
    on either freedesktop.org and gnome-devel and gnome-ffice lists to see if
    there is interest outside AbiWord for drag and dropped text.

    Doing it in Windows requires someone willing to workout the api issues.

    Anyway, right now this is definately an AbiWord only thing. There are
    however real benefits to doing it via drag and drop instead of repainting
    the screen outselves. (Scrolling and repaiting recomes trivial then). BUT
    we we have no xp layer for drag and drop so we'd need to come up with one
    those first I think.