Re: Valencian version and one more question

From: Pierre Abbat (phma_at_webjockey.net)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 19:46:43 EST

    On Thursday 13 November 2003 13:19, Giovanni wrote:
    > Thanks,
    > that is the real point, for languages, of any kind, that have no code at
    > all. It should be nice to have the possibility to work on any language one
    > wants. For instance, if I have an artificial language of my own and I want
    > to "translate" abiword (or any other program), I should have the
    > possibility to do that.
    > The code system (ISO, Ethnologue ecc.) cannot be used in this case, because
    > one has to wait one odd authority will going to declare that this language
    > is an official one.
    > Abiword, as other software, is only a tool that has to be indipendent from
    > any political, religious etc. claims. So it would be nice that there is a
    > possibility to add new translations as long they are maintained by someone
    > (so Interlingua, Klingon and the language spoken by myself only).
    > From a techinal point, some time ago, I translated quite all the menus of
    > Abiword in my dialect (by the way the difference between a dialect and a
    > language is hard to define), but I could not add it due to the code rules,
    > is there a way to add it now?

    If the language is artificial and has no specific ISO 639 code, you can say
    "art-" followed by the name of the language. That is what I did with Lojban
    until the code "jbo" was approved.

    The Ethnologue distinguishes as separate languages what are commonly called
    dialects of a single language. For instance, it lists three Basque languages
    and two Yiddishes. Since it lists Catalan-Valencian-Balear as one language, I
    think it's safe to say that Catalan and Valencian are just dialects of it.

    As to Nynorsk and Bokmål, the Ethnologue classifies Nynorsk as West
    Scandinavian, along with Icelandic and Faroese, and Bokmål as East
    Scandinavian, close to Danish. (There are other languages I've never heard of
    in there, such as Dalecarlian.)

    phma

    --
    .i toljundi do .ibabo mi'afra tu'a do