Re: RFC: latin ligatures

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 08:47:34 EST

    > I have now fixed bug 5853 (ligating across formating
    > boundary);
    > should I enable ligating for the handful of latin
    > ligatures ('fi',
    > 'fl', etc.), or not?

    There were problems other than this - namely, a lot of
    our users had filed bugs saying that "fl" or "fi"
    showed up as a "degree sign". I.E. they didn't have a
    glyph in their fonts for that particular ligature.

    It might be wrong to just diable these ligatures - the
    problem might be in some 'does this glyph exist'
    routine. But until this is sorted out, I can't have
    people not being able to type "floating fish" just for
    the sake of a little on-screen vanity.