Re: RFC: iomega active disk

From: tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 09:19:59 EST

    > On mer, 2003-11-19 at 11:27, tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >
    > > why is it not compatible? (not trying to be obstructive) -- it seems to me
    > > that it is really just the case of linking statically against non-GPL library.
    >
    > That is incompatible with GPL.
    >
    > > It is not acceptable as there are a lot a constrain associated with
    > > > redistribution. This is also in conflict with GPL.
    > >
    > > AFAIU, you can redistribute the AD-enabled executable freely.
    >
    > Re-read the license. You are no free (as in speach) to do whatever you
    > want.

    OK, I had a look at the GPL FAQ site, and it depends if making an
    application into AD application is to be considered as 'combining two
    programs into one' or whether you see it as compiling your application
    into omega's proprietary executable format using provided tools. The
    former is not OK, the latter is.

    I think it can be easily presented as the the later. The whole process of
    making AD application seems to me no different, and no more
    restrictive, than compiling into win32 PE executable format.

    Quite clearly, the OpenOffice folk have no problem with this, but then
    they are not tied soley to the GPL.

    Tomas