Re: [Fwd: Re: Test printing of the binary and report the results please.]

From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 12:42:47 EDT

    > Thanks, Ben.
    >
    > I've confirmed this on paper. This _could_ be some of
    > that "unstable" math that I had previously mentioned.
    > Then again, it could be something else entirely.
    >
    > The printer's DPI (maybe 300?) is quite likely
    > different than the screen DPI (96?), thus causing
    > niggly effects like this when you do division.
    >
    > Pat Lam and I are going to work on this ASAP and get
    > it into a better state.

    Great! It could also be the fb_LineBreaker.cpp class. It almost always
    works 100% but Ben might have hit on the 0.1% chance it fails.

    But I think you're right. My money would be it's caused by rounding errors
    at the 1440 dpi you guys chose for layout resolution.

    If you want to continue to use integer calculations, you could instead
    layout at 7200 dpi. That would allow a 20,000 page document before the
    layout units wrap around to negative numbers. So it's OK from that
    perspective.

    However my gut feeling is that we could comfortablly use double precision
    floating point calculations with no noticible performance penalty.

    As a real world example, Oliver Schurro reports perfect results on
    printing the GUADEC-4 paper.