Re: Packaging wishes for 2.0.1

From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 12:19:57 EDT

    On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 15:37, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
    > >> So, what I'd like it that default installer for
    > >> Windows, and packages
    > >> for UNIX includes the following plugins:
    > >> -BMP
    > >> -WMF
    > >> -JPEG
    > >> I don't care which one is used, but we need the
    > >> capabilities to decode
    > >> these image fileformat.
    > >
    > > Yeah, so Unix should use the GdkPixbuf plugin and
    > > probably also ship the libwmf2 plugin, even though I
    > > wrote a GdkPixbuf loader for WMF images.
    > Now I get to make my rant. The GdkPixbuf loader should *NEVER* have been a
    > plugin for unix anyway. It should be a core feature built along with the
    > application. Rui insisted that that it should be and now he's not even
    > going to make rpm's with it installed.

    This is not intentional, I should have been warned if there's any
    problem.

    [rms@roque rms]$ rpm -ql abiword-plugins-impexp | grep -i gdkp
    /usr/lib/AbiWord-2.0/plugins/libAbiGdkPixbuf.so

    There were different matters with abiword 1.0.x on this issue, that may
    not apply on 2.0.x

    Previously, if you didn't have gnome you'd likely not have gdkpixbuf.
    As it stands can no longer be true, though.

    Hugs, Rui

    ps: so far I'm keeping Fedora Core at home, but it is being constantly
    updated, and RH9 won't be supported anymore by RedHat after the end of
    this year anyway...

    + So let's do it...?

    Please AVOID sending me WORD, EXCEL or POWERPOINT attachments. See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html