Re: Image Loaders on Win32 (was Re: Re[2]: Packaging wishes for 2.0.1)

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 13:02:13 EDT

    >> I was just wondering if there was anything similar on
    >> Win32 and QNX. Could be a COM object. Could be some
    >> GDI/GDI+ APIs that I'm unfamiliar with. MSIE,
    >> MSOffice, etc... use some control or API to do this.
    >> Why can't we do the same?
    >

    > GDI+ can do it - see <http://www.codeguru.com/gdi/GDIPlus.html>.
    >
    > For backwards compatibility (and less image formats supportes),
    > there is IPicture/OleLoadPicture - see
    > <http://www.codeproject.com/bitmap/cpicture.asp>.

    There is no API present in All editions of Windows to to this (:-

    Just to warn you. GDI+ is only present (if the user has not installed it) in
    Windows XP. See:

    ;--------------------------------------------
    Run-time Requirements

    Gdiplus.dll is included with Windows XP. For information about which operating
    systems are required to use a particular class or method, see the More
    Information section of the documentation for the class or method. GDI+ is
    available as a redistributable for Windows NT 4.0SP6, Windows 2000, Windows
    98, and Windows Me. To download the latest redistributable, see
    http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdkredist.htm.

    In my opinion, we should use third party libraries for this, as we have been
    doing until now.

    Best regards,

    --

    Jordi Mas i Hernāndez (homepage http://www.softcatala.org/~jmas) http://www.softcatala.org