Size Matters? [was Re: Prototype: AbiWord using libgsf]

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 19:19:12 EST

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

    <snip>libgsf is great</snip>

    > I don't think that a net gain of .5 or 1 MB is enough
    > to get fussy about. Especially since our most popular
    > plugins already require libgsf, and so their win32
    > installers include a copy of it, libxml2, and

    I really liked that I was able to UPX compress the Abiword.exe and put it
    on a single floppy disk. there is still a certain amount of wiggle room
    but that I'm fixated by that little benchmark.

    If you've read many of the reviews and user comments on freeware download
    sites like CNet or TUCOWS there are a great many people who appreciate a
    really small light version and it is certainly a nice extra feature to
    tick off on the list of nice features.

    It is not a very important issue but it is the only reason I have to care
    about abiword being a few Megabytes or 50 Megabytes more on windows.

    sincerely

    Alan Horkan