and I was called paranoid and FUD-monger...

From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms@1407.org)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2003 - 11:10:16 EDT

    Microsoft Prepares Office Lock-in

    An anonymous reader writes "NEWS.COM has an article describing
    Office 2003's DRM features for documents[1]. This will not only
    coerce those running older versions of Office to upgrade, which
    has been a problem for MS in the last few years, but it will also
    shut out competing software, such as OpenOffice. Now think about
    this for a second. Even if the developers of a competing office
    suite could figure out how to get their software to open an
    Office 2003 document, doing so would be a DMCA violation, since
    they'd be bypassing an anti-circumvention device. I certainly hope
    the OpenOffice team will kick development into high gear. If there
    was a time we need a viable competitor to Office, it's now.

    [1] News.com article: New Office locks down documents
    http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-5069246.html

    Hugs, Rui

    + So let's do it...?

    Please AVOID sending me WORD, EXCEL or POWERPOINT attachments. See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html