Re: bidi in win32graphics

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 05:02:07 EDT

    On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 16:31, tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > Just a few comments on the recent thread, as I do not have time to
    > actually code anything at the moment
    >
    > GetCharacterPlacement(): as far as I recall, the code in question was
    > there long before the Unicode patch that required Unicows. I suspect
    > that then it used to be GetCharacterPlacement(), i.e., without the W
    > suffix. However, the point is at when the function is not available, then
    > the system has no built in bidi support, so taking the simple ExtTextOut
    > path is entirely adequate.

    Hi Tomas,
             No this should not be called UNLESS there are no pCharAdvances
    defined. The text needs to be placed at the locations specified by the
    layout classes. These classes do all their calculations in logical units
    which are calculated at a font size independent of both zoom and
    resolution. These are scaled to give the charAdvances at the speficed
    zoom and resolution of the graphics class.

    The bugs in the windows graphics class arise when these charadvances are
    not used used because text gets placed at locations other than where the
    layout classes expect them to be.