Re: 5291 RTF import slow - the solution :-)

From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 11:13:17 EDT

    On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 17:05, dbolack%electricmulch.com@electricmulch.com
    wrote:

    > You could do a Huffman or Shannon Fano based on a static tree which is
    > pretty fast, but really, you're still not likley talking about enough
    > savings to be worthwhile.

    What else ? PGP ?

    Stop being on crack.

    Transforming a string for the sole purpose of lookup is problably the
    stupidest idea ever. We are not trying to save a couple of bytes, but
    trying to speedup lookups in the PieceTable, where the lookup are being
    performed by comparing large keys (strings) were the keyspace is tighter
    and defined (we have a defined and finite set of keys, aka properties).

    Hub

    --
    "<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping,
    it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it