Re: Removing unneeded preferences

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 08:26:16 EDT

    Hi Chris,

    > id_CHECK_SPELL_CHECK_AS_TYPE
    > why should we enable spell-check but only do it if the user explicitly
    > requests it?

    Because the user might not want spell-checking in the background;
    there are situations in which this necessary in order to avoid the
    spell-checker taking too much system resources.

    > id_CHECK_SPELL_MAIN_ONLY
    > Why would you want to not use dictionaries apart from the main
    > dictionary?

    Because my custom dictionary might contain forms that might not be
    acceptable in a particular type of a document.

    > id_CHECK_OTHER_USE_CONTEXT_GLYPHS

    This can go; this is now always on

    > id_CHECK_OTHER_SAVE_CONTEXT_GLYPHS

    This can go; it is not supported and there are no plans to do so.

    > id_CHECK_OTHER_HEBREW_CONTEXT_GLYPHS

    This is used; there is intentionally no interface for this, but some
    users asked for it.

    > id_CHECK_VIEW_SHOW_RULER
    > id_CHECK_VIEW_SHOW_STATUS_BAR
    > Hide the status bar? Hide the ruler? I mean, is your screen really
    > *that* small? What do you gain by hiding them?

    This is very usuful if you need to have two or three windows stacked
    above each other at the same time. I use this a lot.

    > id_CHECK_VIEW_HIDDEN_TEXT
    > Why is text hidden? Isn't it weird to have a document that hides text
    > from the user?

    That is the whole point of hidden text; among other things it makes
    it possible to hold two versions of a document together, for example
    one that is for the students and on that is for the lecturer and
    contains additional comments.

    > id_CHECK_LANG_WITH_KEYBOARD

    This is used, but currenly only implemented on win32; it means that
    the langugage marking at the insertion point is held in sync with the
    keyboard layout. This the normal behaviour that most users expect,
    but some people on the list objected to this; the preference is there
    to accommodate them.

    > id_CHECK_DIR_MARKER_AFTER_CLOSING_PARENTHESIS

    This is used; currently only implemented on win32; if checked the LRM
    and RLM characters are automatically inserted in certain situations,
    such as in the vicinity of parenthesis, but also spaces in dependence
    on keyboard layout. This makes bi-directional text entry much simpler
    but might not be to everyone's liking. It also makes it possible for
    AW to behave more like MS Word, which does not use the Unicode bidi
    algorithm.

    Tomas