Re: Is GTK24 really needed?

From: E. A. Zen (ericzen_at_ez-net.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 20:27:21 EDT

    First off, sorry if I'm stepping in where I shouldn't, but despite the
    lack of news, I have been keeping track.

    On 17/04/04 20:41:47, Petr Tomasek wrote:

    > Sorry for replaying so late, I'm just too busy now. I didn't meant
    > to flaming anyone, You surely can play with anything You want. I
    > just thought it would be nice if some gtk-2.4 features could be used
    > even before AbiWord-2.4 (like the filechooser).

    Hi, Petr!

    There two points working against you right now regarding this subject.
    First off, it was decided to keep the toolkit requirements at 2.2 or
    2.0, so, the 2.4 work will have to wait until, coincidentally, AbiWord
    2.4.

    Second, a feature freeze has gone into effect, thus, preventing any new
    patches into the HEAD branch that would include any new niftiness, as
    there is much broken old niftiness that needs attention (you're welcome
    to join that fun; there's still some click and drool to spruce up).

    > I've created small patch, that adds --enable-gtk24
    > to the configure script so that abiword could
    > optionally use those new features from within
    > the normal branch. Would this be acceptable?

    ifdef'ing the world is an ugly way to make things pretty. It's still
    better for this to get merged into the 2.4 playground.

    > (I really don't have time to hack on this now,
    > but I hope to be able to backport the filechooser
    > changes from the GTK24 branch iafter some time..)

    Again, this kind of stuff is better off in the 2.4 branch; same logic
    as above.

    -Eric