FOX Cancels 'AWN'

From: E. A. Zen (ericzen_at_ez-net.com)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 15:18:06 EDT

    Direct word from ME from Sandollar from 20th Cent. from FOX states that
    long running series, "AbiWord Weekly News" has been cancelled due to
    low veiwership in the past four weeks, when the series was on hiatus.

    WB suggested it would be interested in picking up 'AWN', as online fans
    call it; however, due to the serial nature of the programme, and that
    it has already run for three years, they're only looking at holding for
    another five because, "Shows that have epic arcs, even if most of it
    occurs in just a few episodes, tend not to work out well past five
    years.... Historically, moving shows with complex storylines to
    another network result in a major viewership loss; something we've
    witnessed before 'Buffy' [the Vampire Slayer] and 'Roswell'."

    UPN stated that picking up series from other networks was nolonger on
    their agenda.

    ShowTime, however, said, "We love giving all sorts of crap a go for a
    bit, but we've been cutting back since 'Stargate' (SG-1]."

    ----

    Actually, I'm announcing a tit for tat campaign; readers are expected to hire a truck for $385 a day that says, "We'll read the AWN on paper...or at another site...and, we've already read it on paper...." Or, if that's not affordable, I'll start doing one "current" one and one "older" one until is'all caught up. This begins as of next week.

    -Eric