Re: XML Layout in .abw files

From: Charles Goodwin <charlie_at_vexi.org>
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 16:03:53 CEST

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 23:54 +1000, wrote:
> PS. If you guys are all comfortable with vim/emacs why not use latex/docbook?
>
> They're designed for this sort of large documentation project. (Well Latex
> isn't but it scales far better than any WYSIWYG word processot.)
>
> I'm not trying to put you off using AbiWord I'm just intrigued.

Vim/Emacs rule when it comes to writing code.

When it comes to writing large documents that are relatively layout-
centric, they suck. As nice as Vim is, it just doesn't come close to
AbiWord for tasks like this where I like to be able to read and view the
document whilst editting it. In this case, AbiWord saves me time,
enery, and makes it much easier to motivate myself to write the doc.

This is one of the areas I think AbiWord could really create a niche;
for technical documents, especially by using or exporting to docbook or
maybe even latex.

*curses* As if I didn't have enough to do, I'm battling an urge to grab
the latest CVS to try and fix a few of the bugs I'm encountering.

--
- Charlie
Charles Goodwin <charlie@vexi.org>