Re: File Extension Madness

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 02:41:27 CEST

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Charles Goodwin wrote:

> Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:30:10 +0000
> From: Charles Goodwin <charlie@vexi.org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Subject: Re: File Extension Madness
>
> On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 01:05 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > > 1. A polite warning when it occurs, a dialog saying:
> >
> > warnings are annoying, and unnecessary in my opinion
>
> Correction, in your technically _educated_ opinion.
>
> Most word processor users are not very techincally aware. I know, I've

Abiword has historically been very sparse when it comes to annoying users
with error messages so my technical knowledge or lack of it is not very
relevaant.

> > as far as I'm concerned giving a document an incorrect file extension is a
> > rare case.

I should have been clearer.

it is rare that a user would deliberately type in a file extension .doc if
they did not want a Microsoft Word document.
it is rare that a user would specificlaly choose a filetype and
deliberately specify a differnt file extension.

I think it is reasonable that if a user types .doc it would be useful to
automatically give them a word document.

I am saying that it should be difficult for a user to create a file.doc
that actually contains abiword XML.

> And some people believe everybody should use Debian. It can be "figured

you have me totally wrong and frankly I'm insulted

- Alan