AWN #EOF Released

From: E. A. Zen <ericzen_at_ez-net.com>
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 02:23:08 CEST

The latest AWN has been out for an age.

Having never caught up in, now, three places of the archival gaps, I'm
going to have to admit that the AWN is now far beyond the scope of my
abilities*. I had thought I could simply delegate a couple of points,
but I have not bothered to do a thing beyond some basic data fetching
(the only script, by the way, ever bothered with since the reformatting
at the beginning of the year, and it's heavily borrowed from what
Jesper left--just all coalesced into a shell script). As a result, I'm
declaring the AWN DOA.

In fact, I don't really think there should be an AWN. It's not that
AbiWord doesn't develop at a newsworthy pace, but so many other
projects do. That is to say, if Chucky and RyMan* get a site up
somewhere someday, there should be a GOWN*, and it should be made of
blue, dot-textured paper and have a huge slit down the back.

I have many regrets*, however, with where I've left GNOME Office, as
I've never announced the official progress of or releases by Criawips
(yes, shocking, I know) and DiviFund (formally MyBudget, changed for
legal reasons). Nor will I announce that the AbiMath function has been
implemented. And ultimately, despite my enthusiasm, I will not
announce that GNOME Office 1.0 + ~1 has been released.

I will be unsubscribing to the lists in the next week, and I'll clean
out my virtual cubicle (I've already thrown out a few months worth of
data...but I haven't been able to bring myself to emptying the recycle
basket*).

-

*the AWN...abilities: I missed both April and August Fool's! That's a
sure sign something's gone horribly wrong.

*Chucky and RyMan: I'm just entertaining myself, ignore the nicknames
if they're confusing.

*GOWN: Gnome Office Weekly News, everything past this line is an
American Hospital joke.

*I have...regrets: I have a unique love and curiosity for GOffice,
mostly the different means of creating a cross platform office suite.
Abiword implements a full native system, while Gnumeric is following
the toolkit. Criawips slashes past the whole thing with a virtual
machine. In a world where projects either implement their own toolkits
or don't bother making anything cross platform, this will be an
interesting combining of projects. Maybe some nutter will just make a
web interface for the whole thing--FlashOffice, FlOffice!

*recycle basket: Funny note, though the desktop calls it recycle, the
nautilus folder still says "Trash."

-

Have a wingdingy day,
-Eric