Re: File Extension Madness

From: Jody Goldberg <jody_at_gnome.org>
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 15:52:58 CEST

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 01:35:23PM +0000, Charles Goodwin wrote:
> > It also raises questions of how to display a filename in the save
> > dialogs. Should that be
> > foo <type == excel>
> > or
> > foo.xls <type == excel>
> > or
> > foo.xls <type == by extension>
> >
> > The last option seems fraught with ambiguity. There are several
> > different formats named 'xls' we can pick one of them, but I don't
> > really like it. The first option is not terribly pleasant either,
> > someone may put in foo.xls themselves, forcing us to guess if they
> > some how wanted a file called 'foo.xls.xls'.
>
> For the reasons you mention, it has to be #2.

Unfortunately that puts us into an ugly position w.r.t. the first
problem.

Display shows 'foo.xls' and user changes the file type from
    XL -> Gnumeric
Does the app auto change the extension to match ? Probably yes,
subject to lots of restrictions (eg it has to match the previous
file type). That feels perilously close to an app being too pushy
for my taste.