Re: CocoaAbi 2.2.1 ('It ain't perfect,but what you gonna do...') up on SourceForge

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 00:57:47 CET

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Francis James Franklin wrote:

> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:11:19 +0000
> From: Francis James Franklin <postmaster@alinameridon.plus.com>
> To: AbiWord Dev list <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: Re: CocoaAbi 2.2.1 ('It ain't perfect,
> but what you gonna do...') up on SourceForge
>

> On 5 Dec 2004, at 23:05, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
> > Should we SPAM MAC sites now?
>
> Eek! Please don't! :-)
> I'd like to clear some of the flood of new bugs following the /.
> announcement...

The criticism on slashdot was (by slashdot standards) reasonably well
intentioned but there was loads of nit-picking and hardcore Mac users
aren't going to be overly impressed. A few well chosen words by FJF
about it being a work in progress would make a huge difference to any
release announcement.

If you do post to Mac websites you would want to tone down the language
and try to manage expectations. I would try to emphasis that this is the
first official release of Abiword for the Mac (it is, isn't it?) and to
include concilliatory language to the effect that we (or to be more
accurate FJF) are aware that certain areas need polish and may not work as
perfectly as Mac users might expect.

I fear that since it is out of the bag and on slashdot already it will
probably be picked up soon by Mac websites without our help so I wouldn't
leave it too long (did a quick search of some mac sites and used google
news, didn't see anything yet)

- Alan H.