Re: RFC: words and word separators

From: Daniel Glassey <danglassey-abi_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 00:06:10 CET

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 22:10 +0000, Francis James Franklin wrote:
> I think numbers should be considered part of the word, although
> technically it's probably not a word and isn't there a preference to
> not spell-check words with numbers?
>
> Punctuation is complicated, but I would say that the hyphen should
> always separate words, i.e., full and time are separate words in your
> example.

Except that full-time is a word but things like full-up aren't. If it
isn't a hyphen used to split a word and it is in the middle then I would
say it should be considered as part of the word for spell checking.

e.g. see http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=31620&dict=CALD

see http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/091502.htm about en and em
dashes and hyphens. Hyphens occur in the middle of words, the others
have separate words on either side.

Regards,
Daniel