Re: Abiword integrated with wxWidgets

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 17:14:45 CET

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Francesco Montorsi wrote:

> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 14:57:49 +0100
> From: Francesco Montorsi <f18m_cpp217828@yahoo.it>
> To: ABIWORD ML <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: Re: Abiword integrated with wxWidgets
>

> Hi,
>
> > Unfortunately the embeddable bonobo component will only work on unix (as
> > will the gtk build) so you'll lose all the benefits of wxwindows
> > cross-platformness.

> can I embed abiword in another app under win32 ?

No. Probably not.

To Repeat what Martin has said:

The GTK version of Abiword has bonobo support and can be embedded in
other GTK applications.
The GTK version of Abiword runs on Unix (and Linux)

The version of abiword that runs on Windows is not the GTK version.
The Windows version of Abiword uses the Windows native user interface and
does not included bonobo support and cannot be embedded.

If you could get the GTK version of abiword with bonobo support to compile
on windows you might have a chance.

> > Actually abiword already runs very well on all the platfroms supported by
> > wxwidgets anyway.

> this should make it possible, isn't it ?

No. Sorry.

Hope I've made it clearly why it is not currently possible.

- Alan